The Way We Are #1: The Smithy by the Linden Tree

Beta!Henry of Skalitz/Alpha!Hans Capon (Kingdom Come: Deliverance II; Alpha/Beta/Omega Dynamics)

這篇另有中文版,請前往

Henry was a Beta, so he couldn't be Hans's husband; Hans was an Alpha, so Henry couldn't be his mate.

The secondary genders sucked, Hans complained.


After returning to Rattay from the Devil's Den, Hans finally met the ugly woman of his imagination. But in reality, his prospective bride, Jitka of Kunštát, was not only elegant and intelligent, but her looks were exactly to Hans's taste. If Hans hadn't been pregnant, he definitely would have fallen for her. Yes, if Hans Capon hadn't been carrying Henry's pup, he surely would have found the scent of redcurrant enchanting, instead of rushing back to his room to hug a wooden bucket and vomit.

Hans crawled into the wardrobe and buried his face in Henry's shirt, wrapping himself in stolen comfort. Hans hadn't told anyone, as he had only found out a month ago himself. He was vomiting, urinating frequently, and had lost his appetite. The first physician diagnosed him with heatstroke… in the cooling winter, how absurd. His chest was swollen, his lower abdomen slightly protruding, and he suffered from both constipation and diarrhea. The second physician had given him a suspicious look, and Hans thought for a moment he had been figured out, but the physician merely diagnosed him with a bad stomach.

Hans placed a hand on his lower abdomen. He was absolutely pregnant, because a young kitchen maid in Rattay had the exact same symptoms as him, even the irritability and crying spells, right up until she announced the good news.

But Hans had no good news to announce.

What else could he say? Oh, dear Uncle, I seem to be pregnant, and the child is Henry's. That's right, I had an affair with a Beta peasant before my wedding, and now a noble Alpha is pregnant. Congratulate me!

He couldn't even begin to imagine how Hanush would react.

He missed Henry. Henry would know what to do, whether it would be simpler to confess to Hanush, or easier to hide it for a full ten months. But Hans hadn't seen his beloved Beta in three months. Right after Henry mentioned the task commissioned by Radzig Kobyla, during their final farewell in the stables, Hans had begged Henry to fuck him on the hay, giving him something to remember Henry by until his return to the city.

But Hans hadn't wanted this kind of memento.

Holy Virgin Mary, calculating the timeline, the moment Henry got him pregnant was even that very time in the stables. It was ridiculous, utterly unbelievable. If Hans had known a male Alpha could get pregnant, he absolutely would not have let Henry cum inside him. A noble Alpha knocked up by a Beta peasant? The Capon name would lose all face. They had fucked so many times, why did it have to be three months ago, just as the leaves were turning yellow? Why right before his Henry was about to set off? Although he knew his physical condition had been a bit abnormal that day—feverish, impulsive, clingy, haphazardly assaulting servants with his pheromones all the way to see Henry—that couldn't stop Hans from secretly meeting his lover.

Oh, he missed him. He missed Henry, missed his Beta, missed the biological father of the unborn pup in his womb.

Hans buried his face in Henry's shirt and sobbed.


---


Jitka suspected him.

This morning was the third time this week Jitka had impertinently inquired about Hans's secondary gender and chastity. How could she be so suspicious? Even if they were in a trial marriage, Jitka had no right to question him!

Hanush wanted this political alliance to go smoothly, so Radzig suggested they undergo an ancient trial marriage ritual. Pheromonal compatibility between Alpha mates was crucial, as incompatible partners were prone to volatile tensions, there had even been cases of wedding-night murders. However, as noble marriages became increasingly formalized, trial rituals became rare, largely because Alpha-Alpha marriages were not only unconducive to producing heirs, but forcing them often led to tragedy.

But Hans and Jitka's Alpha marriage was meant to forge an alliance between their houses, so they began a one-month trial marriage.

During the day, he and Jitka were forced to share a room, returning to their separate quarters after dark. Breakfast and lunch were delivered by servants, and no excuses to leave were entertained. Hans was beginning to feel that Radzig's suggestion was revenge for Hans bullying his son. Initially, Hans and Jitka treated each other with mutual respect, but after three days of cohabitation, the entire bedroom was suffused with alert pheromones. Pirkstein would likely see a noble murder long before any wedding night.

"Could you stop that for a moment, Capon?" Jitka looked up from her book, Alpha discontent brewing within her.

Hans glared back disdainfully, his pheromones stirring, but a sudden cramp struck his lower abdomen. "I haven't done anything, my lady," he ground out, bearing the pain.

"Drop the act, Capon. It's been eight days. Every day you walk in and just sit there, filling the room with the stench of sour honey." Jitka set her pen down. "What are you guarding? We're literally keeping the maximum distance possible in this room. Are you still not satisfied?"

Hans subconsciously placed a hand on his stomach, a cold sweat breaking out on the back of his neck. "I'd be even more satisfied if you could get your uncle to call off the engagement." The sweet scent of linden flowers dissipated, and the smoke of burning linden wood finally crept to Jitka's feet.

"Capon!" Jitka growled.

The biting scent of redcurrant forced its way into the air. Hans sprang up from the bench, his back instantly running cold. He grabbed the low table to support himself, but still stumbled, letting out a low groan before collapsing to the floor.

Jitka immediately retracted her pheromones, the room still lingering with the scent of tart fruit and smoked wood. Sensing that the aura around Hans had gone completely wrong, she asked, "Capon?" Although she was a guest, injuring the heir to Rattay would cost Kunštát dearly.

As Jitka walked toward him, Hans threw out a hand to stop her from coming closer. He clutched his stomach, the hair on his forehead plastered with sweat. "Capon, what is going on? I'll get someone—"

"Don't!" The smoky scent nearly choked Jitka into a stupor; she halted, clutching her head in pain.

"Then tell me exactly what's going on! I don't want to get dragged into any trouble!" Jitka remained standing far away, at least five paces back, but it still wasn't far enough. Sharing a room with an unfamiliar Alpha made it completely impossible for Hans to stay calm. "I know you've been weak and vomiting. You haven't finished a single meal in this room. It's been eight days, and this is ridiculous. If we're going to be married, I need to know what I'm dealing with!"

Jitka's gaze was piercing. If they were to marry, she certainly had the right to know the truth. But he didn't want to get married! He didn't want to be mated to anyone but Henry. He belonged to Henry, his Henry, oh, his beloved Beta.

"Capon?" When Jitka saw the grown man before her face stream with tears, she was momentarily thrown into a panic. "Are you—I wasn't that harsh, was I? I'm going to get someone."

"No! Please—" As Jitka reached the door, Hans crawled on the floor, wailing. The woody scent gradually receded, leaving behind a sweet, musty odor, like rotting honey. "I- I'll tell you. But promise me you won't breathe a word of this."

Jitka rested her hand on the doorknob, her expression severe as she weighed the situation. "I can promise you that, on the condition that I get the full truth." 

Hans nodded weakly. 

"No more hiding things. And I refuse to be dragged into any crises, I will not have this tarnish the reputation of Kunštát." Hans hesitated for a moment before nodding again. 

"Alright, out with it. I'm waiting." Jitka remained by the door, her arms crossed over her chest.

Hans breathed a sigh of relief. He slowly crawled back onto the blanket-draped bench, waving Jitka off when she made to approach. 

"I... uh..." 

Hans wiped his face, organizing his words. He was trying to find a way to calm down. The continuous, passive release of pheromones left him exhausted, which was why he was perpetually weak. Pregnancy also ruined his appetite, and scents belonging to anyone other than his mate made him especially nauseous. He had spent eight consecutive days staring at the same book to distract himself without absorbing a single word. Being denied what he craved made his inner Alpha anxious and irritable.

Henry.

Hans only wanted Henry. Even though they weren't marked mates, and couldn't become marked mates, only Henry could fix everything. Hans just knew it, because the answer lay within his womb. Only Henry's embrace could bring him comfort, only Henry's scent could put him at ease. This bedroom didn't have any of Henry's clothes hidden away in it. With Henry absent, he couldn't tolerate even the slightest discomfort. A mere Alpha was on the verge of madness simply because he was missing his Beta.

"I'm an Alpha, you know that, right?" Hans asked. Jitka, perplexed by the question, nodded anyway. "Male Alphas... seem to be capable of getting pregnant. I didn't know before, but—" Hans glanced up at Jitka, who appeared entirely unsurprised.

"You knew?" Hans couldn't help asking.

Jitka's eyes widened. "Knew what?" Her tone carried a hint of shrinking back.

"You knew male Alphas could get pregnant?" Hans's voice rose in volume.

"I—uh…" Jitka looked down, sneaking a glance at Hans. Rather than interrogation, Hans's eyes held mostly helplessness and confusion. So Jitka decided to give him an answer. "I've never seen formal documented records, and circulating cases are exceedingly rare, but it doesn't seem impossible. There have always been rumors of the sort."

"What rumors?" Hans's voice trembled, his hands clasped together.

Jitka raised an eyebrow and pursed her lips, judging his ignorance. "The bodies the Lord bestowed upon all of us are capable of nurturing life. It isn't just women and male Omegas who can conceive, male Alphas and male Betas can too."

Hans stared wide-eyed, completely speechless.

Jitka seemed provoked by his reaction. "Bearing offspring shouldn't be our sole duty. Just because your conception rates are low doesn't mean women and Omegas shouldn't be allowed to possess wisdom and courage. It's unreasonable."

"You sound just like Henry," Hans blurted out. Henry had once said Omegas shouldn't face discrimination, and the level of respect he showed women had surprised Hans.

"What?" Jitka snapped back to reality, having been interrupted.

"Henry. My squire, my—" Hans pursed his lips, hesitating, but considering Jitka's just-stated views and stance, it might be safe to tell her. "The biological father of the child in my belly."

Jitka blinked. Hans's expression was resolute. The Alpha woman before him was left speechless, opening her mouth several times only to stop. Her gaze darted between Hans and his lower abdomen, and Hans gave a decisive nod.

"But you're a male Alpha..." Jitka said in disbelief.

"I am indeed, but you said it yourself. Cases of male Alphas getting pregnant are rare, but not nonexistent." Thanks to Jitka's examples, Hans no longer doubted himself. He felt a long-held burden of worry lift from his shoulders.

"Wait, who did you say the father was?" Jitka frowned tightly, quickly zeroing in on the focal point.

Hans stammered, swallowing hard. "Henry. My squire, a male Beta."

"Oh my God..." Jitka covered her mouth, and Hans felt the back of his neck go cold again. "I- I might have heard his name? Hanush or Sir Radzig might have mentioned—"

"Yes," Hans hunched his shoulders, his mind somewhat dazed. "He is also Radzig's son, but a bastard."

"Oh..." Jitka's response made Hans even more uneasy, as if pronouncing his out-of-wedlock pregnancy as absurd and unwise. His heartbeat quickened. "And where is he now...?"

"He—" In an instant, the air in his lungs was sucked dry. The panic he inhaled through his mouth couldn't reach his lungs, and his heart felt ready to leap out of his throat. "Henry is—"

Right before Hans collapsed, he saw Jitka rushing toward him. "Henry is not—"



Hans must have fainted for a moment.

He stared at the ceiling, counting the knots in the wooden boards, then touched his lower abdomen. Still slightly protruding. His pup was still there. He suddenly felt a bit like crying, then thought of that young kitchen maid who had cried and laughed at the same time, and he closed his eyes.

"Capon? Hans Capon?" It was Jitka.

Hans opened his eyes, turning toward the voice to see Jitka kneeling beside the bench.

"You fainted. I helped you lie down. Since you were still breathing, I didn't get anyone else in here." Jitka had kept her promise; her face was merely etched with worry.

"Thank you. If it weren't for the fact that I already have Henry, my heart might have fluttered." Having regained his composure, Hans couldn't help but crack a joke.

"Oh, uh- thanks for the compliment, but I have no interest in you," Jitka said awkwardly. She adjusted her posture, sitting on the floor with her back against the bench.

Hans chuckled lightly. "How could you not be interested in me? I'm an Alpha, and look at my face."

"Don't get carried away, you're just fermented honey. And for an Alpha, you are far too weak. Being pregnant looks like it's going to kill you," Jitka teased without hesitation.

Hans covered his face. "Ah... I respect pregnant women more than ever now, and I'm only..." Hans counted on his fingers. "In my fourth month! I still have at least five more months of this to endure, good Lord."

Jitka didn't respond, their thoughts filling the silence.

"What are you going to do? There's no way I'm marrying you under these circumstances," Jitka stated bluntly. "Even though the child is still of your bloodline, the original marriage contract certainly didn't mention me raising someone else's child. Not to mention I don't love you at all."

Hans nodded in agreement. "I plan to wait until Henry returns to decide."

"He's out of town? Seeing your reaction, I thought he was already—" Jitka asked in surprise, then stopped. "Never mind, pretend I didn't say that."

Hans looked at Jitka in shock, but as the implication of her words registered, a chill ran down his spine. What if Henry—what if he didn't make it—

Jitka seemed to notice the shift in Hans's complexion, so she sat up and shoved his shoulder. "Hey! Hey! Capon, calm down. He's just out of town, right? He'll be back. You should have a little faith in your mate."

Mate. His mate. His Henry.

"I don't want to get married." Hans began to cry again. He draped his arms over his face, weeping like a boy who'd had his treasure stolen. "I want to see him. I only want him. I want Henry to be my mate. I don't want anyone else."

Jitka offered neither criticism nor vocal comfort; she simply sat back down quietly. The sweet scent of redcurrant grew richer, laced with the crisp fragrance of grass. Though it couldn't blend into the sour staleness of the linden honey, it gently stroked the branches in a semblance of comfort.

Hans cried for a while, tapering off into quiet sobs. Jitka stood up, poured a cup of water, and returned to the bench.

Hans sat up and took the cup. "You're awfully nice to an Alpha you've only just met."

"If you know how to be grateful, you can break off the engagement as a thank you." Jitka pulled up a chair and sat nearby, keeping her distance. She seemed to know that this distance was more comfortable for a pregnant Alpha.

Hans took a sip of water. "I will. I'll figure out a way to break the engagement. If Hanush knew I was pregnant, there's no way he'd let me marry you anyway."

Jitka leaned forward, resting her elbows on her knees to look at Hans. No longer sharp-edged, she spoke with the relaxed, playful tone of a young girl. "Do you think he's your fated? You know what fated mates are, right?"

"No, I don't think so," Hans set down the water cup. "Before the pregnancy, I just simply liked him. It had nothing to do with whether we were Alpha or Beta." He felt his cheeks flush. It was his first time openly discussing his feelings for Henry with anyone, and Hans stared at the cup as the words spilled out. "Henry is- he's so good to me, almost too good to me. He's saved me from countless crises, appearing like a mythical hero whenever I felt lost. He responds to my feelings and makes me experience things I've never felt before."

"Are you the type whose heart flutters easily for anyone who treats you nicely?" Jitka snickered.

"I am not! It's because it's Henry, that's why I—" The words died on Hans's lips. 

He looked at Jitka, and Jitka looked back with equal questioning.

Because it was Henry? Because the one who saved him was Henry, the one who untangled his sorrows was Henry, the one who answered his affections was Henry. Because they had met as if arranged by destiny, going from mutual hostility to understanding friends, and finally falling in love. How many friendships in stories were like his and Henry's, falling in love with your best friend, and having him willing to love you back? As an Alpha with a low conception rate, Hans had even gotten knocked up from just one bout of rut-induced sex.

Could it really be that just because they were an Alpha and a Beta, his meeting Henry wasn't destiny?

"I think you should tell Sir Hanush," Jitka suggested after observing Hans's expression. "Since we aren't going to get married, I think you should tell Hanush that Henry is your fated."

"But he isn't—" Hans remained a bit uneasy.

"I know. Henry isn't an Omega, so he can't biologically be your fated mate. But you already know, don't you?" Jitka softly delivered the conclusion, as if they were legends from an ancient poem. "Besides him, there is no one else."

Hans turned the water cup in his hands, his fingertips tracing its worn texture. When he looked up at Jitka, he read the bitterness in her eyes. "Could it be that you—"

Jitka nodded slightly, barely even an affirmative gesture. "Even though my Henry is not like your Henry... I felt destiny."

"Haven't you told anyone else? About... your Henry?" Hans leaned forward toward Jitka. Even fated mates between a noble and a commoner could be permitted by aristocratic society, as it was considered a miracle bestowed by the Lord.

Jitka smiled tenderly, seemingly lost in memory. "Mine isn't named Henry, and I won't tell you the name either, but..." Jitka looked at Hans again, her expression serious. "Just like you haven't had the time to tell anyone else, neither have I. We are the same."

They gazed at each other for a long moment, the answer self-evident.

"So you're just like me," Hans said, and Jitka nodded. "You also need this engagement broken." 

Both of their eyes shone with the same unwavering resolve.


---


On the fifteenth day of the trial marriage, the moment Hans heard that Radzig Kobyla was visiting Rattay, he barged into Hanush's study. Jitka, trailing behind him, was completely unable to stop him.

"Henry!" Hans shoved the door open and shouted, but only Hanush and Radzig were in the room.

"Good Lord, Hans! Show some manners, will you?" Hanush scolded from his seat at the desk.

Radzig looked at Hans thoughtfully, composed and calm. "You're looking for Henry?"

Pinned in place by Radzig's gaze, Hans paused. As he stepped back, he bumped into Jitka's arm and hurriedly turned his head.

"Ah, Jitka. I apologize that the boy Hans dragged you into barging in like this. This is Sir Radzig Kobyla. I believe you've met him," Hanush said, returning to his usual demeanor.

Jitka offered a deep curtsy, but after meeting Radzig's eyes, she quickly looked away. She turned to the flustered Hans and hooked her arm through his, letting the faintly sweet redcurrant soothe the linden tree. Hans felt his arm squeezed tighter without any discomfort. Though an Alpha's comforting pheromones couldn't fully soothe another Alpha, it was at least enough to calm Hans down.

Hans looked back at Radzig, straightening his spine. "Yes. I need to see Henry."

Before Hanush could reprimand Hans, Radzig stopped him. He raised his chin slightly, his emotions still inscrutable. After observing Hans for a moment, he finally spoke. "Henry isn't in Sasau right now. What matter is so urgent?"

Radzig's tone held a double meaning, and Hans suspected that Radzig might not even like him. But he sensed Radzig probing him, so he decided to lay his cards on the table. 

"I have something important to say to him. Actually, not just him." If Hans wanted Henry to be his mate, Radzig's consent was paramount. "I'd like you to be present as well, Sir Kobyla."

Radzig smiled, seemingly quite satisfied with Hans's answer. "Understood. Henry will be back in a few days. I will ask him to come to Rattay. Perhaps you would like Hanush to be present as well?"

Hans looked at Hanush in surprise. "Y-Yes, if possible, Uncle?" Hanush merely glanced at Radzig before nodding at Hans.

"Do you have any other business, Hans?" Hanush asked.

"No, nothing else. Apologies for interrupting you both. We will take our leave." Jitka patted Hans's arm, and the two of them walked back to their room.


---


Three days later, Hans walked into Hanush's study alone. Jitka hadn't followed him, as this was his own battle. He and Jitka had become friends, or at least allies; saving his own marriage meant saving Jitka's as well.

Hans pushed the door open with trepidation. He first saw Radzig standing by Hanush's desk, and then Henry.

His Henry.

Hans immediately felt a flutter in his lower abdomen. Henry was dressed only in his arming doublet, his hands clasped behind his back. He turned as the door opened, joy blossoming on his face. Although Henry didn't speak, Hans was certain he heard Henry softly call his name.

"Everyone is here. Speak, Hans," Hanush said, folding his hands on the desk.

Hans took a deep breath. He had practiced this with Jitka many times; he could do this. "I... want to break off the engagement with Jitka."

He paused, waiting for Hanush's fury to ignite, but was met only with a silent, heavy pressure. So Hans continued, "This isn't a hasty decision. Jitka and I have spoken. We respect political marriages, but proceeding with this engagement will likely only harm her." Hans had originally intended to imply the marriage was unsuitable due to Alpha incompatibility, but he had dropped the idea at Jitka's suggestion, as the primary reason for breaking the engagement would inevitably trace back to Hans.

His gaze swept over the three men in the room, finally resting on Henry. He tried to choke back a sob. Just looking at Henry made him nearly lose all self-control, and the honey scent of linden flowers even began to spread. "But this isn't just about the engagement. I'm... pregnant."

The air froze. The groaning of the floorboards beneath their feet was crystal clear. Henry's eyes went wide, the smile vanishing from his face. Shocked and bewildered, his shoulders twitched as he suppressed the urge to walk toward Hans.

Henry looked down at his own toes, then lifted his head a moment later, a look of sudden realization dawning on him.

Hans closed his eyes, trying to force Henry's reaction out of his mind and regain his composure. When he opened them, his gaze slid to Hanush. "The father of the child is Henry."

This time, he distinctly heard a faint thump against the edge of the desk; Hanush's knuckles rapped a muffled sound against the wood. Radzig remained unbelievably calm, instead looking toward Henry. Hans straightened his back, his voice growing firmer.

"I won't run away. I am not asking anyone for forgiveness, nor am I here to beg for permission. I am here to state the facts and express my choice." Hans tried to look at Hanush, but the irritation in his uncle's eyes was too much for him to bear, forcing him to look away.

Hans turned back to Henry, seeking courage, and his tone softened slightly. "If possible... I..." He felt tears pooling in the corners of his eyes. "I want to marry Henry."

He hadn't practiced this last part with Jitka. He knew he would have to say it out loud one day, and that day was today, after the many conversations he and Jitka had shared about what destiny meant, what fated mates were, about the shackles society placed on secondary genders, the miracles bestowed by the Lord, and the right to love one another.

"I know Henry is a Beta and I am an Alpha, but I believe we..." He blinked, a tear slipping down his cheek, and then he saw Henry look utterly heartbroken. "We are fated. Meeting Henry has been the greatest happiness of my life. I have never felt such a powerful connection. I need him so much, and he always manages to find me. This child—" 

Hans rested a hand on his lower abdomen, pressing down on the billowy fabric. Only then did the three men in the room notice his slightly protruding stomach, drawing a collective sharp breath.

"—is the proof." Hans looked up at Hanush. He desperately wanted validation, hoping that at least this relative who had watched him grow up would indulge him one last time.

Yet, the first one to speak was Radzig.

"Son," Henry looked toward his father at the sound of his voice. "Though the outcome is not as anticipated, I believe you need to tell Hans your plan yourself."

What plan? What did 'not as anticipated' mean? Hans's panicked gaze darted between everyone in the room. Henry walked toward him, his hands still clasped behind his back, his tense shoulders betraying his suppressed emotions.

"A few months ago, I asked my father to knight me. But after some discussion, my father decided to legitimize me as his heir." Henry glanced at Radzig, who nodded. "The legitimization process is still ongoing, but the truth is, my desires went far beyond that. Becoming my father's legitimate son wouldn't necessarily grant my wish, so I sought Lord Hanush's assistance."

Henry swallowed nervously and pursed his lips. He raised his eyes to Hans, steady and deeply affectionate. 

"I've been hoping to marry you too, Hans."

Looking over Henry's shoulder, Hans saw Hanush close his eyes and give a slight nod. Hans looked back at Henry. 

"When I learned that you were to be mated to someone other than me, I—" Henry gave a light cough, the tips of his ears burning red. "Ashamedly, I found it almost unbearable. I know seeking true love in noble marriages is a fool's dream, but I couldn't help thinking you deserved a better outcome. And then a thought struck me."

As Henry stared at Hans, it was as if he were recounting an ancient tale, one so old the ending had long been preordained. "How wonderful it would be if I could be your husband."

Henry lowered his head, his expression awash with memories. "But the alliance between Lipá and Kunštát couldn't be dissolved so easily. From what I knew, Margrave Jobst still needed Kunštát as an ally. So, with Lord Hanush's consent, my father and I personally traveled to Kunštát to persuade Lord Boček."

"Hans, the reason I didn't tell you beforehand was because-" Henry looked at Hans, full of apology. "Because I wasn't sure if the outcome would be what I wanted. If I failed, it would have given you an impossible hope. My father suggested the trial marriage with Lady Jitka to buy time. If you ended up having a better outcome with Jitka because of it, then the Kunštát marriage contract would be fulfilled as promised."

Henry's conclusion was cruel, but true.

"I'm sorry to have kept you waiting so long. It took quite some time, but Lord Boček agreed that even if the marriage contract is dissolved, he will continue to support Jobst. Only-" 

Henry lowered his head, his tone humbling slightly as he raised his eyebrows to look at his beloved. "Even now that you know all this, are you still willing to marry me?"

Henry. His Beta, the father of his child, his unconventional destiny.

While Hans had been gathering his courage for Henry, Henry had once again been running around for him, fighting to make their love a reality.

Henry. The true love that destiny refused to let him abandon, even if Hans had wanted to give up.

Disregarding the presence of Hanush and Radzig, Hans cupped Henry's cheeks in his hands. "Oh—my love. I do. Of course I am willing to marry you." He wanted to kiss him, wanted to be pulled into his embrace. "My child needs a father, and I- I need you. Henry of Skalitz, I need you to be my husband, my mate, my eternal true love."

Crying and laughing all at once, Henry took Hans's hands, tears welling up in his joy. "Hans, I love you. Although your pregnancy was unexpected, it has made me absolutely certain I wasn't wrong to try."

"Alright, you two lovebirds," Radzig interrupted the enraptured lovers, his tone brimming with amusement. "Since you have made your decision, leave the rest of the details to the parents now, shall we? Hanush?"

"Stop flirting in my study. And Hans, we will have words about this pregnancy later. Leave us for now." Though Hanush's words were chiding, his tone was light.

Hans practically dragged Henry out of Hanush's study, slipping back into the hallway with steps made light by relief.


"Hans, Hans! Wait!"

Hans stopped in the hallway and looked back at Henry. He was still gripping Henry's hand tightly, but the Beta's expression was bewildered.

"Hans, I—"

So Hans hugged Henry, burying his face in the crook of Henry's neck, searching for pheromones where a scent gland should be. Of course Hans knew Betas had nothing there; he had searched for it long ago. Sometimes he hallucinated that Henry was actually an Omega, or at least an Alpha, so their courtship might have been easier. Instead, they had stumbled through trial and error amidst an irresistible attraction, nearly passing each other by until they were certain—it was only him. There could be no one else.

The corridor was steeped in the sweet, woody scent of linden (Lípa), the rustling of leaves seemingly echoing through the hall. And his Henry would never know exactly how this Alpha was feeling at this very moment.

Alphas and Omegas communicating through pheromones was what Hans had once considered the most romantic fairytale. Before hitting puberty, he used to fantasize about a beautiful Omega whose scent would blend with his crisp linden nectar—a wordless communication that spelled a match made in heaven.

But Henry would never know that cloying honey meant joy, smoky black wood meant anger, sour rotting sweetness meant sorrow, and moldy dead leaves meant despair. His Beta couldn't smell it, couldn't feel it. But Henry could see, and Henry could hear. Just as Hans knew that the golden gleam in Henry's eyes was joy, dilated pupils meant anger, lowered eyes meant sorrow, and a hollow gaze meant despair. By Henry's side, Hans had learned to stop expressing everything through pheromones. Because even though a Beta couldn't smell any pheromones, Henry still knew Hans's every desire at any given moment.

And his only desire was Henry.

"Hans..." Henry held him tightly in his arms, careful not to press against his abdomen, even though the bump wasn't large enough to be an obstacle yet.

Henry always carried the scent of burning oak, a medley of floral fragrances, and the metallic tang of rust. Even though Hans's lover wasn't an Omega or an Alpha, the familiar smells of the blacksmith's forge, gunpowder smoke, and chamomile potions were Henry's pheromones. It was a scent Hans couldn't part with— the scent of waking up on crisp sheets in the morning light; the scent of feeling safe amidst thick smoke and mud. It was the scent of being deeply loved; it was the scent of his Beta.

He kissed Henry's jawline, nuzzling the side of his neck. He wanted to stain his linden tree with firewood, steel, and wildflowers. He wanted to become the towering linden tree beside the blacksmith's shop, blooming with pale yellow flowers in early summer, letting their child turn into honey and bouquets.

Henry pressed him into the alcove between the windows, hiding them from any passing servants. He gently tilted Hans's face, kissed his lips, stroked his hair, and gazed at him. "Hans."

"Mmm—yeah?" Hans practically moaned, because Henry's desire was palpable too. Hans could smell the stomach-warming mead scent he was subconsciously emitting, and he knew his eyes were seducing Henry as well.

Until a light cough instantly jolted them awake. 

"If I were you two, I'd stop right there. The early stages of pregnancy really aren't suited for strenuous exercise. Not to mention—"

As Hans awkwardly pushed Henry away, he felt Henry instinctively pull him tighter in defense. "Good Lord! Jitka!"

Jitka shrugged. "I just wanted to see how you were progressing. I didn't mean to stumble upon your..." She wiggled her fingers, a crooked smile on her face. "...reunion?"

Henry hurriedly let go, smoothing out the wrinkles in his clothes, and offered a forced-calm greeting. "Lady Jitka."

Hans was already missing Henry's body heat. He wiped his face. "What did you want to say, Jitka?"

Jitka rolled her eyes. "Oh, I don't know. But seeing how deeply in love you two are, I assume things ended well? Capon." After a moment, Jitka dropped her teasing tone. "Or, a- are you actually saying goodbye?"

"Oh! No! Of course not, " Hans looked at Henry in a panic, and their eyes met. "We—"

"Mhm?" Jitka hummed, prompting them. She looked like she couldn't tolerate these two lovebirds much longer.

"We're getting married!" Henry turned to Jitka, announcing it with a wide grin.


---


Jitka and Henry hit it off immediately.

Henry was thoroughly impressed by her sharp wit and eloquence. When he mentioned that Jitka was like a smarter, more self-disciplined carbon copy of Hans, both Alphas smacked him on the head at almost the exact same time.

Three days later, Jitka had her bags packed for the return journey. Hanush would accompany her to Kunštát to negotiate the aftermath of the annulled engagement. Logically, Hans should have gone along to apologize, but Hanush was more worried about his health. Thus, Hans stayed behind in Rattay, with Henry by his side to serve him, after all, Hans was now his fiancé.

"How happy are you to finally get the hell out of Rattay?" Hans stood by the carriage, looking rather smug.

"There is nothing in this world that makes me happier than leaving Rattay. Thank you for your hospitality, Lord Capon," Jitka offered an exaggerated bow. "I suppose the next time we meet will be your wedding? I shudder to think how dreadful a wedding will be without me as the bride."

Hans burst out laughing. "Oh, I'll definitely make it a grand affair. Just you wait and see, this will be the Capon-Kobyla wedding."

Henry coughed a few times to change the subject. "Have a safe journey, Jitka."

"Thank you, Henry. You're so sweet. How could you ever want to marry someone like him? What a waste." Jitka pointed at Hans, who immediately shouted his protests.

Henry chuckled. "Because he makes me happy." Henry's sheer sincerity instantly made both Alphas blush. "Having encountered true love yourself, you should be able to understand, Jitka."

"I do understand." Even the tips of Jitka's ears went red. "Good Lord, Hans, you lucky bastard, where on earth did you find such a good man? You'd best know how to cherish Henry."

Hans pretended to swoon into Henry's arms, and Henry caught him gently. "This 'good man' is now my fiancé. Watch your tone, Jitka, or I might just ban you from the wedding."

"Fine, who cares? You've already wasted my time, Kunštát's Groschen, and perfectly good dresses." Jitka climbed into the carriage, still shouting back at Hans.

"Please do come to the wedding, Jitka. I hope you can bring your special someone with you." Henry smiled warmly, blessing her from the bottom of his heart.

"Of course, Henry, I will attend your wedding," Jitka smiled kindly at Henry, then turned back to hurl one last insult at Hans. "But I absolutely refuse to attend the wedding of that blond capon."

"Who are you calling— who's a capon! I'm pregnant, not castrated! My virility is perfectly intact!" Hans roared at the carriage as Henry held him back. "Henry, don't stop me! I'm going to show that ugly hag who the real Alpha is!"

"Hans! If pregnancy can't even get you to behave, perhaps I should send you to Kunštát to clean up this mess yourself," Hanush scolded as he walked toward the carriage.

"It was that hag-

Just as Hans tried to argue back, Henry clamped a hand over his mouth.

"Have a safe journey, Lord Hanush." Henry proceeded to hoist Hans over his shoulder, a method of subduing Hans that even Hanush found impressive. "Leave Lord Hans to me. I will fulfill my duties."

"I originally wanted Hans to marry a strict wife to discipline him, but perhaps a strapping knight is indeed more suitable." Hanush stroked his chin. "I leave him in your hands, Henry."

While Hans was still roaring over Henry's shoulder, Jitka's carriage rolled out of Rattay.

留言